Foxtail Hat pattern creates a warm and versatile hand knitted hat. The brim is worked as 1×1 ribbing and the main hat is worked in an easy-to-make, repeating chevron pattern. It’s topped with a gigantic Pom-Pom, which I absolutely love! Made with large needles in bulky yarn Foxtail Hat will knit up quickly and provide the perfect amount of warmth for even the coldest Winter adventures. You’ll be amazed at how fast it knits up – perfect for last minute gift ideas!
The chevron pattern is worked from a series of cross-over stitches, which are separated by simple garter stitch. The stitch pattern is repeated 4 times as you work through a round, so that you don’t always have to look down at the pattern once you get the gist of it. Foxtail Hat is unisex and two sizes are provided to create a well-fitted for a man or a woman.
The best part of all: this pattern is provided to you for FREE by Cascade Yarns, and it is designed specifically for their bulky weight yarn Nevado. Click here for a direct download link to a pdf of this free pattern from Cascade Yarns’ website.
This pattern is perfect for adventurous beginning knitters who are looking to learn cross-over stitches and who are looking to become more experienced in decreasing and knitting in the round. For more experienced knitters, you’ll love how quick and fun this pattern is. It’s perfect for the times when you need a quick knit-fix.
- In case you don’t have a pom pom maker: There are many fabulous tutorials available, if you would prefer to make your pom pom without a commercial pom-pom maker. Here is a link to one of my favorite pom pom making video tutorials (from Bernat Yarns with Vicki Howell).
- Cross-over stitches: If you have never knitted a cable pattern before, this hat is perfect for gaining the experience! For this hat, I used a cable needle to cross the stitches, however one of my test knitters made the twisted stitches without a cable needle.
Finished Measurements & Size
- Two sizes: S/M (M/L)
- 18″/46 cm (19″/49 cm) head circumference. To fit up to 22.5″/57 cm (23.75/60 cm) head circumference.
- Suggested Yarn: Cascade Yarns® Nevado 39% Llama, 38% Wool, 23% Nylon 100 g (3.5 oz)/164 yds (150 m) 1 skein in color #04 (Squirrel) (for both sizes)
US 8 (5 mm)/16” circular knitting needles
US 10 (6 mm) Set of 5 DPNs or longer circular needle for magic loop method
US 10 (6 mm)/16” circular knitting needles or size to obtain gauge
1 Stitch Marker
3 3/8” Pom Pom maker
15 sts x 24 rows = 4” (10 cm) Blocked, in the round, in 1×1 rib with US 8 (5mm) knitting needles.
16 sts x 23 rows = 4” (10 cm) Blocked in the round, in cable pattern with US 10 (6 mm) knitting needles.
Working in the round with circular needles and double-pointed needles
- Knitting & purling
Decreasing and increasing
Working cross-over stitches on a cable needle
- Making a pom-pom
Thanks goes to…
- Cascade Yarns for commissioning this pattern for Nevado and for providing yarn support for this project.
- Technical Editor Brittney E.
- My lovely Test Knitter for this project Nancy W.
I would love to see your finished Foxtail Hat on Instagram, twitter, so please tag it with #foxtailhat and/or #NikkiWagnerKnits. Please also share your progress and finished projects on Ravelry, I knit under the name NikWagner! And click here to find the Ravelry page for this pattern. Happy Knitting, friends!